1) I learned about Directories and 4 Internet Search Tools. Directories are prepared by hand, very by selectivity, very in criteria for inclusion, very in qualifications of human indexes, and vary in levels of maintenance. Human Indexes are people who categorize things. I also learned about subject guides; web directories versus search engines. I learned that hierachy is a series of ordered groupings within a system. The four search tools are: Search Engines (Google, Yahoo, Bing, Ask, Altavista), Metasearch Engine (Webcrawler, Monstercrawler, Dog Pie, Mamma), Subject aguides and Web directories, Specialty search databases.
2) I understood the directories the most because it was broken down to strengths and weaknesses. The strengths that directories have are: selective, accurate results, categorized, easily browsed, good for general questions, and must have search ability. The weaknesses directories have are: relatively small database, may not have sites addressing vary, less search functionality, paid inclusion may affect quality, tend to index only the main pages of sites.
3) Before this lesson, I knew about directories however I did not know that search engine websites have their own directories, such as yahoo. The website: dir.yahoo.com was knew to me and was helpful because it was accurate and selective. Before this lesson, I have never used a directory in my life however in the future I may plan to use directories for my other classes for research projects.
Great Marisch. I'm glad you may find a use for directories in the future, especially if you are starting with a broad topic and are not sure where you want to go with your research. When you know what you want, you can use a search engine, although you can still use a directory as well.
ReplyDelete