Thursday, October 28, 2010

Week of October 25

1) This week, I learned strategies to create an internet research. I learned that I would have to focus on what information I want and how I might find it, which means I would need a plan or strategy before starting my search online. The 7 Steps helped me by providing guidelines that increase the chances of finding the information I need. The 7 Steps I learned is:
- Define your topic and note initial keywords
- Locate background information and identify keywords
- Choose the proper search tools
- Translate your question into an effective search query
- Perform your search query
- Evaluate your search results
- Refine your search, if needed


2) Prior to this week, I questioned why certain content is only available on the Invisible Web. However, I learned 5 reasons why content is only available on the Invisible Web. One of the reasons is that search engines decide not to index the content because it is too deep in the site, and search engines have been asked not to index the content of by the presence of a robots.txt file. Another reason is that search engines cannot get to index them is because it encounters a request for a password or the sites.


3) I also learned the 7 steps to creating an internet research strategy. The first step you should start with is defining your topic and to note initial keywords. From there, you should question yourself about what you want to end up with when you finish your research. As you are doing your search, you should identify concepts by writing down sentences that summarize the topic, and by studying the research to identify keywords.  

No comments:

Post a Comment