1) I learned that compared to data bases, search engines are much larger and contain billions rather than millions of sites. I also learned that there is virtually selectivity involved in determining what webpages are included in the search engines databases. I would use data bases for searching rather than browsing because they provide more substantial searching capabilities than directories.
2) Throughout the lessons, I understood "Metasearch Engines" the most. What I understand now is that metasearch engines offer a single search form to query multiple search engines. The search results are compiled from other search engines rather than information from the Web. I also understand that metasearch engines remove duplicate results and rank the results from multiple search results. I learned that metasearches are useful for quickly providing the highest results from multiple search engines.
3) The question I still have is why I cannot access certain specialty search tools at home, such as: library.nycenet.edu. If the website is used for educational purposes, I feel that students (including under the age of 18) should also be able to access these websites. This way, students such as myself can use these specialty search tools to do research and access more information for schoolwork.
Excellent question. You absolutely should be able to access these databases from home and you should not need a driver's license to do so. In fact, you are supposed to be able to access them. I can access them from home myself through the library.nycenet.edu website so I don't know why others can't. But if you are prompted for a password, the password is empirelink. I forgot to mention that in class.
ReplyDelete