Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Week of November 29th

In College Research English Class, I learned how to make a wordle for my blog. The website to create a wordle is: http://wordle.net. After parting my blog entry text into the top box, I reread it to make sure that I did not have any spelling or grammar mistakes. When I clicked go, my wordle appeared. I customized my wordle by using different colors, layouts and font tools. Lastly, I copied my wordle into my blog. I noticed that the more important words in my wordle are highlighted into my blog entry.



To review what I learned last week in College Research English Class, I learned how to identify synonyms and related terms for keywords. Synonyms are words that have similar meanings. I learned that useful web pages have been created by many different people, using different words to describe the same topic. A useful tip is that by expanding your list of keywords, you help ensure that your queries are broad enough to find Web pages not indexed under the exact words in your initial list.






On November 30th in College Research class, I learned how to narrow down my search in Google using the Wonder Wheel. I learned that the most challenging step in researching any controversial topic is defining the most important subcategories. I agree to this statement because when I am doing research for my other classes, I receive so many results on Google and I do not know which link is the most important to receive valuable information. For today's classwork, I searched "Animal Rights" into Google and I received millions and millions of websites, which makes identifying valuable information almost impossible. But by down breaking broad topics into subcategories is really hard when that topic is new to me. Lastly, I learned that understanding the themes connected to ideas generally require a pretty complex understanding of the main ideas to begin with.


No comments:

Post a Comment